DIY or Hire
When determining whether to perform tree trimming on your own or hire a professional, it comes down to price and safety.
- Tree trimming on your own is free if you have all of the necessary tools; however, some pruning and lopping shears may cost up to $50
- It's often faster to address a limb that needs to be trimmed yourself rather than scheduling an appointment with an arborist
- It may be more dangerous and difficult to trim limbs longer than 4 inches in diameter
- Professional tree trimming services will usually charge $250–$500 on average (the total cost will depend on the scope of the project)
- An expert will safely and efficiently remove problem limbs during a scheduled appointment
- Arborists and other tree trimming experts have experience trimming and pruning limbs of all different sizes